While some motorists carry too many tools, others don't carry enough.
As a guide, you should consider the following list:
- Adjustable wrenches (large and small).
- Screwdrivers (straight blade, large and small).
- Screwdrivers (philip's head, set of three).
- ooden jack base.
- Jack and pump.
- Tyre repair outfit, including valve key.
- Wheel brace and tyre levers.
- Engineer's hammer.
- Spark plug spanner.
- Ground sheet.
- Set of ring spanners or combined open-end and ring spanners of correct type for vehicle.
Make sure the jack suits the car, the wheel brace fits the wheel nuts and the spark plug spanner is able to remove all the spark plugs (spark plugs can be awkward to remove.)
On long trips, especially to remote areas, it is always advisable to carry spares.
Here's a guide to what you might need:
- Two spark plugs.
- Spare tyre.
- Fan belt, plus top and bottom radiator hoses.
- Tow rope.
- Trouble lamp and/or torch.
- Small shovel and axe.