The facts about international driving licenses
Many countries require foreign visitors to have an 'international drivers license', aka an International Drivers Permit (IDP),
in addition to a valid drivers licence, to be able to drive a car or motorcycle on their roads. If you intend to drive overseas, be sure to check your destination's licencing requirements before you travel.
Visitors to Florida require an International Drivers Permit
Travellers that wish to drive in Florida without obtaining a Florida driver license will be required to have an International Driving Permit to accompany their out-of-country license. This applies to any vehicle, including rental vehicles. The International Driving Permit must be in the customer’s name and from their country of residence.
For more information call 1300 655 179
Why do I need an International Drivers Permit?
- An International Drivers Permit allows you to drive overseas without further tests or applications, provided your Australian driving licence is valid. It is also a legal requirement for renting a car in most countries.
- It can be used as an additional form of identification if your passport is locked away in a safe place.
- In most cases, your current Australian driving licence alone is not enough when driving in a foreign country. It must be complemented with an International Driving Permit.
How long does it last and can I renew it overseas?
- Your permit is valid for 12 months or expires at the same time as your Australian driving licence, whichever comes first.
- Yes, you can renew your permit from overseas. Simply follow the instructions on the application form and return it to RAC.
How do I get an international drivers licence?
Only RAC and associated members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) are authorized to issue International Driver Permits in Australia.
- You can get a permit at RAC Member Service Centres (Excluding Auto Service Centres). See below for branch locations.
- You can download and complete an International Drivers Permit application form and post it back to RAC.
- RAC West Perth, Kalgoorlie,Carousel, Morley Joondalup, Mandurah, Albany and Geraldton are the only Member Service Centres that have the ability to photograph you for a permit so please bring a passport-sized photo to our other centres if applying in person.
- If applying by post, please include the return address and contact number with a clear photocopy of your driving licence (both sides) and an original passport photograph.
- Full details are printed on the International Drivers Permit application form. We suggest printing and completing the form before applying in person. It will help speed up the process for you.
How long does it take to get an International Drivers Permit if I apply by post?
- Permits are processed on the day they are received or the next day.
- Delivery of your permit depends upon the postal options you choose but in most cases you will receive your permit in 3-7 days.
|RAC Member Centre locations|
110 Albany Highway
Tel: 9892 9580
51-53 Hannan Street
Tel: 9051 5680
Shop 32, Stirling Centre
22-28 Stephen St
Tel: 9779 9280
|RAC Mandurah |
Shop 112, Centro Mandurah Shopping Centre
330 Pinjarra Road
Tel: 9512 8280
Shop 1098, Westfield Carousel
1382 Albany Highway
Tel: 9365 4780
Shop 1, Morley Market Shopping Centre
Tel: 6466 2380
Shop 29 Centro Northgate Shopping Centre
Chapman Road, Geraldton
Tel: 9950 0580
|RAC Head Office - West Perth|
832 Wellington Street
Tel: 9436 4840
|RAC Travel Joondalup
Boas Avenue, Joondalup (at Lakeside Joondalup Shopping Centre)
Tel: 9308 16000
International Drivers Permit costs
- An International Drivers Permit costs A$34.50.
- If a permit is requested via post the following postage rates apply:
- Within Australia: Standard post $1, Registered post $4.
- International: Standard air mail $4, Registered $15.
- Photograph (West Perth, Kalgoorlie, Carousel, Joondalup, Morley, Mandurah, Albany and Geraldton only) $12.50 for RAC members, $14.50 for non-members.
- International Driver Permits may not be issued to persons under 18 years of age regardless of whether they hold a national driving licence.
- The holder of a International Drivers Permit should be advised to carry their current domestic driving licence while overseas.
- Permits cannot be issued to holders of learner permit status licences or other limited/restricted use licences, issued under the directive of a State Court of Law.
- There is no upper age limit for the use of a International Drivers Permit.
Further information about international motoringAAA Motorists Handbook (PDF)
International road signs and country by country information. AAA International Motoring Brochure (PDF)
Taking your car overseas, Camping Card International, IDPs.