- Europe preview savings
- Available for a limited time
- First choice on air offers*
Follow the fortunes of the Spanish, Portuguese and Moorish Kingdoms as evidenced in their grand castles, stupendous religious buildings and incredible works of art.
- An expert Insight Tour Director
- Luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom
- Personal radio headsets
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your hotel
- Complimentary coach and hotel WiFi
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departure days
- Madrid: Witness the world's finest collection of Spanish paintings plus an impressive foreign collection as you tour the Prado Museum with an expert art historian.
- Toledo: With a Local Expert, visit the Church of Santo Tomé and see an El Greco's masterpiece.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of Apparitions.
- Lisbon: Visit Jeronimo's church with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal's trade over the centuries.
- Seville: From the Moorish Patio de los Naranjos, step inside the cathedral, past the altarpiece, dripping with gold, to the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Gibraltar: Tour of the Rock of Gibraltar, one of the pillars of Hercules, affording magnificent views of the meeting of the Atlantic and Mediterranean and the Spanish Sierra. Visit St. Michael's Cave and see the Barbary Apes.
- Granada: Best interpreted with the help of a Local Expert, the Alhambra Palace is the ultimate in Muslim architecture, an arabesque fantasy in stone, complemented by the gardens of the Generalife.
- Barcelona: A Local Expert will take you inside Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia Basilica.
Day 1 - Madrid
Having arrived in Madrid, transfer to the hotel and join your Tour Director for a Welcome Reception and a beautiful evening of dinner and wine.
Accommodation: Gran Meliá Fenix, Madrid (D)
Day 2 - Madrid of the Bourbons
(Relaxed Start) A guided sightseeing tour takes you along the elegant Paseo de la Castellana past Madrid's most famous fountain in the Plaza de Cibeles. Drive down the Gran Vía to the Royal Palace and Cervantes Monument before crossing the Puerta del Sol. The highlight of your tour is a visit to the magnificent Prado Museum to admire the paintings of Velázquez, Goya and many others.
Accommodation: Gran Melia Fenix, Madrid (B)
Day 3 - The old Capital of Toledo and Golden Salamanca
The morning is devoted to Toledo. With your Local Expert, walk through the maze of narrow, cobbled streets. See El Greco's paintings in the Church of Santo Tomé. Later, pass the ancient walls of Ávila, en route to Salamanca with its handsome arcaded Plaza Mayor, honey-coloured cathedral and 16th century university buildings.
Accommodation: Alameda Palace, Salamanca (B)
Day 4 - Porto, Grande Dame on the Douro
(Relaxed Start) Cross the Portuguese border to reach Porto, situated on the River Douro and celebrated internationally as the capital of Port wine. See the Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores that house the famous wines. Walk along corridors of casks and get to know your tawnys and vintages during a tasting. Admire the multi-coloured houses and churches covered in glazed tiles, as well as the iconic bridges (or ‘Eiffel Towers on end' according to one Frenchman).
Accommodation: NH Batalha, Porto (B, D)
Day 5 - Holy Fatima, Ancient Obidos and Lisbon
Head south for a visit to miraculous Fatima. See the basilica or visit the Chapel of the apparitions, which commemorates the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three young shepherds in 1917. Then continue to the fortified town of Obidos, where you'll walk inside the walls to explore the flower-bedecked houses and narrow, medieval streets. Your destination is the Portuguese capital.
Accommodation: Dom Pedro Palace, Lisbon (B)
Day 6 - Lisbon & the Age of the Great Discoveries
(Relaxed Start) Sightseeing with a Local Expert takes you along the spacious avenues of the Lower Town and beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to reach the Terreiro do Paço, finest square in the city. Visit the Belem Quarter, from where sailing ships set forth to discover unknown lands. Visit an old patisserie that has managed to hold on to the secret recipe of Portugal's finest pastry for over 100 years and enjoy a demonstration and tasting of the famous ‘Pasteis de Belem'. See the Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belem Tower - a fortress originally set in the middle of the river, but now left high and dry on the riverbank. Next, visit Jeronimo's church with its beautiful Manueline architecture. The afternoon is free – perhaps take the funicular up into the steep alleyways of the old town, or explore the terraces of the Alfama district?
Accommodation: Dom Pedro Palace, Lisbon (B)
Day 7 - Seville, the City of Carmen
Leave Lisbon via a modern Tagus Bridge and cross the border to reach Seville. With a Local Expert, tour the immense cathedral, burial place of Christopher Columbus, and the slender Giralda Tower. Explore the labyrinthine Santa Cruz Quarter and see the Alcazar. At night, settle back for a Signature Evening with dinner and entertainment featuring a fiery flamenco show.
Accommodation: Ayre, Seville (B, D)
Day 8 - Free Time in Seville
(Relaxed Start) The following day is completely yours to relax, explore, or continue sightseeing in this fascinating city. One suggestion is an optional experience to Cordoba to visit the magnificent Mezquita.
Accommodation: Ayre, Seville (B)
Day 9 - Head for Gibraltar and the Costa del Sol
Head south to Gibraltar, attached to Spain, yet an independent colony under British control since 1704. Visit the Rock of Gibraltar, St. Michael's Cave and see the Barbary Apes, legendary guardians of the colony. Later, take the scenic route along the Costa del Sol through exclusive resorts where the Mediterranean's most expensive yachts lie moored.
Accommodation: Melia Costa Del Sol, Torremolinos (B, D)
Day 10 - At Leisure on the Costa del Sol
(Relaxed Start) Enjoy the following day at leisure on the sun-drenched Costa del Sol. Relax by the blue Mediterranean waters, stroll along the promenade or savour the specialities in the local restaurants or consider exploring Malaga, the birth city of Picasso.
Accommodation: Melia Costa Del Sol (B)
Day 11 - Mijas, Granada and the Alhambra
(Relaxed Start) Drive through the green hills above the Costa del Sol to the white-washed village of Mijas. Stroll through the old streets and gardens and take in the views of the coast. Continue to Granada to visit the magnificent Alhambra Palace. With a Local Expert, see the Lion Court, as well as the water gardens of the royal summer residence. In the evening, choose your own personal ambience and cuisine from our Dine-Around selection of restaurants.
Accommodation: Vincci Albayzin, Granada (B, D)
Day 12 - On to Valencia
Journey to Valencia where you'll see the ultra-modern Centre of Arts and Sciences then circumnavigate the old town, past the City Gates of Serranos and Quart to reach your hotel. Valencia is home to one of the world's greatest dishes, paella. Learn the authentic recipe in a fun cookery demonstration and savour the flavours of this classic dish for dinner, washed down with a glass of sangria. The rest of the day is at leisure, perhaps take a stroll to the Cathedral and El Miguelete?
Accommodation: Barcelo Valencia (B, D)
Day 13 - Along the coast to Peñíscola and on to Barcelona
Follow the coast to Peñíscola to view the sea-lapped castle used in the film El Cid. Continue along the Costa Dorada to the Cava Bodegas at Sant Sadurni d'Anoia. Enjoy a taste and learn the sparkling secrets of Spanish ‘bubbly' before heading on to your hotel in Barcelona.
Accommodation: Meliá Barcelona Sarrià, Barcelona (B)
Day 14 - Barcelona Sightseeing
(Relaxed Start) Join a Local Expert to drive along the Passeig de Gràcia. Continue through the Eixample district for a visit inside Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Família Basilica. In the afternoon, maybe experience the great Monastery of Montserrat and see the Black Madonna? In the evening, take in splendid views of the port and sea from your waterfront seafood restaurant at a Celebration Dinner.
Accommodation: Meliá Barcelona Sarrià (B, D)
Day 15 - Depart Barcelona or Madrid
Your journey ends after breakfast. Departure transfers arrive at Barcelona Airport at 07:00, 09:00 & 11:00. The 09:00 transfer will continue to Madrid, scheduled to arrive early evening at Madrid airport, followed by the Hotel Gran Melia Fenix.
Europe 2018 Preview
- 2018 tours at 2017 prices
- Save an additional 10% if paid in full before December 14th 2017
- First option on air deals when released (before offered to general public)
- Pay a $200 deposit to guarantee your place on the tour, no price increases once a deposit is paid - if the tour price decreases, the difference will be refunded to you
- Save an additional 5% if you have traveled with Insight before
- *Price advertised is per person, twin shar
- Single supplement applies to solo travellers
- Tours subject to minimum numbers to run, please ask your consultant for more information on guaranteed departure dates
- Itinerary subject to change without notice
- Insight Vacations terms and conditions apply.
- Credit card fees of up to 2.5% may apply
- Price includes 10% early bird discount if paid in full by December 14th
*Terms and conditions apply: see RAC Travel general terms and conditions