- Including flights from Perth^
- Luxury coach tour
Make your way though Portugal; from its ancient towns, sunny beaches of the Algarve to the vineyards of the Douro Valley.
Witness the legacy of Portugal's great discoveries, bringing trade and wealth which left their mark throughout the Kingdom.
- An expert Insight Tour Director
- Luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom
- Personal radio headsets
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your hotel
- Complimentary coach and hotel WiFi
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departure days
- Lisbon: Visit Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal's trade over the centuries.
- Evora: Visit the famous Roman Temple and Capela dos Ossos, plus the fascinating cathedral, a mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions.
- Tomar: Dominating the town, visit the Convent of Christ, see the Manueline Window and follow the story of the mysterious Knights Templar.
- Tomar: Visit one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal.
- Conimbriga: Visit the museum with a local historian and witness the Roman ruins and mosaics.
- Coimbra: With a Local Expert, visit the University and witness the triumphal arches, painted ceilings, golden flourishes and walls of ancient tomes.
- And much, much more!
2017 departures available from $3,794* per person, twin share.
Departures available from 7 April - 6 October 2017
Please speak with your RAC Travel Consultant for more information on specific dates and prices.
Day 1 > Welcome to Lisbon
On arrival at Lisbon Portela Airport, there are complimentary transfers to your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 & 15:30 hours. Settle in and relax. Later, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Reception and the opportunity to mingle and get to know each other over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine.
Hotel: Altis Grand, Lisbon (Superior Rooms)
Welcome Reception and Dinner
Day 2 > Lisbon & the age of the great discoveries
Your guided panoramic sightseeing takes you along the spacious avenues of the Lower Town and across the tree-shaded squares. Pass beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, the finest square in the city, named after the palace which was destroyed in the terrible earthquake of 1755 (along with much of the rest of the city). Visit the Belem Quarter from where sailing ships set forth to discover unknown lands. See the traditional patisserie that has managed to hold on to the secret recipe of Portugal's finest pastry for over 100 years and enjoy a tasting of the famous 'Pasteis de Belem'. See the modern Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belem Tower, erected to protect Jeronimos Monastery, whose church we visit. Enjoy free time in the afternoon. Perhaps take the funicular railway up into the steep alleyways of the old town or explore the terraces of the Alfama district?
Hotel: Altis, Lisbon (Superior Rooms)
Day 3 > The Algarve
Cross the River Tagus and head for the sun-drenched southern coast. Lunchtime finds you on the coast at Lagos, a fishing port nestled at the back of a bay. After free time to explore, your gracious resort hotel is not too far away, set within a magnificent 360 acre estate. Simplicity is the soul of Algarve cuisine, along with seafood so fresh it still tastes of the sea. The small coastal towns and fishing ports house a rich variety of restaurants and your Tour Director knows the best! Enjoy a delightful evening of wine and classic seafood dishes rooted in the region.
Hotel: Hotel Ria Park, Algarve
Buffet Breakfast, Highlight Dinner
Day 4 > Everlasting Évora
(Relaxed Start) In the morning, journey to the medieval walled city of Évora. Join a Local Expert to explore the highlights of this beautifully preserved town. See the Roman Temple and visit the Capela dos Ossos - an extraordinary 17th century chapel comprising the skulls and bones of 5,000 bodies. Visit the cathedral with its attractive mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture. In the afternoon, perhaps hire some bicycles and enjoy a ride through Évora's unique historical centre and follow the aqueduct inside the city walls?
Hotel: M’Ar De Ar Aqueduto, Évora
Day 5 > Monsaraz & Évora
(Relaxed Start) In the morning, you'll be transported to the striking white village of Monsaraz, situated on an imposing hilltop, surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards. From the castle ruins, admire the spectacular views across to the dry Spanish plains, contrasting with the blue of one of Europe's largest artificial lakes. Enjoy a leisurely cruise before a delicious and memorable lunch in a restaurant that was formerly an old olive oil mill. The choices offered are all typical of the local Alentejo region, with wine and drinks included. Later, return to Évora where cathedrals, churches, aqueducts and ancient castle walls all serve to create the feeling that this beautiful UNESCO World Heritage city is a living, breathing museum to Portugal's rich past.
Hotel: M’Ar De Ar Aqueduto, Evora
Buffet Breakfast, Highlight Lunch
Day 6 > Scenic drive to Óbidos, Fatima & Tomar
In the morning, take some lesser roads to the fortified city of Óbidos, for a walk inside the walls to explore the craft shops, art galleries and flower-bedecked houses that line the narrow, medieval streets. Continue to Fátima, Portugal's most renowned place of pilgrimage. See the basilica or visit the Chapel of the Apparitions, which commemorates the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three young shepherds in 1917. Now on to one of Portugal's historical jewels - the Templar Castle and Convent of Christ at Tomar. With a Local Expert, explore the octagonal Templar's Rotunda in the cloister and glimpse the day-to-day life of a warrior monk in the domestic areas. Outside on the battlements, the Manueline Window is perhaps the finest example in the country. Next, visit the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal, housing a small Jewish museum.
Hotel: Dos Templarios, Tomar
Buffet Breakfast, Three-course Dinner with wine, plus tea or coffee
Day 7 Coimbra, the Duoro & Pinhao
(Relaxed Start) Drive to Conímbriga, Portugal's best-preserved Roman archaeological site. With a Local Expert, marvel at the mosaics, explore the ‘House of the Fountains' and visit the museum. Move on to Coimbra, where guided sightseeing shows you the highlights of the Old Town, including a visit to the impressive baroque University library. Continue through rolling hills to your hotel, nestled on the vine laden banks of the Douro.
Hotel: Vintage House, Pinhao
Day 8 > Guimaraes & Porto
Journey to Guimarães, known as the Cradle of Portugal. From the ruined castle there are wonderful views. Down in the historic heart lies a web of washing-hung alleyways, cobbled streets and cosy squares with tiny bars and cafés. Head on to the bright lights of Porto, situated on the River Douro and celebrated as the Port wine capital of the world. The Vila Nova de Gaia wine stores house these famous port wines. Walk along corridors of casks and get to know your tawnys and vintages during a tasting.
Hotel: Crowne Plaza, Porto
Day 9 Porto, Grande Dame on the Douro
(Relaxed Start) A free day to enjoy at your own pace. Why not admire the multi-coloured houses and churches covered in beautiful glazed tiles, as well as the iconic bridges (‘Eiffel Towers on end' according to one Frenchman) or join a relaxing Douro River cruise for a different perspective and excellent views of the city? In the evening, bid 'adeus' to your Tour Director and friends with a palate-provoking Celebration Dinner, complete with wine at an authentic Porto restaurant.
Hotel: NH Porto Batalha, Porto
Buffet Breakfast, Celebration Dinner
Day 10 > Depart Porto or return to Lisbon
Enjoy the morning in Porto before the 12:00 coach continues to Lisbon, arriving at approximately 17:00.
Hotel: Altis Grand, Lisbon (Superior Rooms)
Day 11 > Depart Lisbon
After breakfast, your departure transfers arrive at Lisbon Portela Airport at 7:00 and 9:30.
- *Price advertised is per person, twin share
- Must book and deposit by 15 December 2016 to receive offer
- ^Flight deal is only valid on select 2017 departures and is non-combineable with the early payment discount
- Flight deal - fly to Europe for $699^ - already included in price; please speak to your RAC Travel Consultant for further information.
- Single supplement applies to solo travellers
- Tours subject to minimum numbers to run, please ask your consultant for more information on guaranteed departure dates
- Itinerary subject to change without notice
- Insight Vacations terms and conditions apply.
- Credit card fees of up to 2.5% may apply
*Terms and conditions apply: see RAC Travel general terms and conditions