Pilgrimage to Poland
- Attend mass at Jasna Gora Monastery
- Enjoy traditional Polish cuisine
- Visit Auschwitz
Explore this unique land, ravaged by tragic war, but reforged with enviable verve. The homeland of St. John Paul II, this pilgrimage will take you to Niepokalonow, Czestochowa and Wadowice
- City tours in Warsaw, Wadowice & Krakow
- Visit Zytnia Street Church in Warsaw
- Visit the Franciscan Monastery in Niepokalanow
- The Parish church of St. Casimir in Swinice Warkoe
- Jasna Gora Monastery in Czestochowa
- The Basilica Minor in Wadowice
- The Mariacki church and the Shrine of the Divine Mercy in Krakow
- Auschwitz Concentration Camp
- Jaszczurowka Chapel in Zakopane
- Be my guest: Enjoy delicious Polish cuisine with a local family in Krakow
- Airport transfers^
- 7 nights accommodation
- 11 meals
- At least one surprise Hidden Treasure
- Local specialist guides for sightseeing in Warsaw, Wadowice and Krakow
Welcome to Warsaw, where you begin your pilgrimage through Poland's deep history and religious wonders. Join your Travel Director and companions to attend Mass locally, followed by a welcome reception.
Hotel: Leonardo Royal (Welcome Reception)
Day 2 - Warsaw Sightseeing
Admire Warsaw's historic centre including the Old Town, with its beautiful cobbled streets, and picturesque architecture during your sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist. See the Market Square and the Barbican. Visit the site of the Warsaw Ghetto, shockingly evoked in Polanski's award-winning film 'The Pianist', see St.James Church where Helena Kowalska prayed when she arrived in Warsaw, and the church in Zytnia Street, the Shrine of the Divine Mercy. Explore the city on your own this afternoon. Consider a visit to the Wilanow Palace, a priceless testimony to the splendour of Poland's past of perhaps attend a Chopin Recital?
Hotel: Leonardo Royal (Buffet Breakfast)
Day 3 - Warsaw, Niepokalanow, Swinice Warckie & Czestochowa
This morning we leave for Niepolalanow and visit on the largest Franciscan Monasteries found by St Maximilian Kolbe, the martyr who was arrested by the Nazis and volunteered to die in place of a stranger at Auschwitz during WWII. Our pilgrimage continues to Swinice Warckie where we visit the Paris Church of Casimir. It was here that St.Faustina was baptised, and received her first confession and her First Holy Communion. Our day concludes in Czestochowa, the spiritual capital of Poland and home of the Black Madonna. Tradition tells us that this icon was painted by Luke the Evangelist, and discovered by St.Helen and later enshrined. We arrive in time for a Cultural Insight, attending Mass at Jasna Gora Monastery with time for personal reflection. This evening we dine at our hotel.
Hotel: Mercure Czestochowa Centrum (buffet breakfast, dinner)
Day 4- Czestochowa, Wadowice, Krakow
We travel to Wadowice this morning. The history of the city dates back to the 13th century but is renowned as birthplace of Karol Wojtyla who later became Pope John Paul II. With our local specialist, we discover more of this beautiful city and also about the early life of Pope John Paul II. We visit the Basilica Minor where he was baptised and attended mass as a child and which he awarded the title of Basilica Minor in 1982. We will also visit his family home which is now a museum and see some of the family's possessions. Enjoy some free time before continuing to Krakow for our four-night stay. Try a "kremowka" which was the Pope's favourite cake.
Hotel: Qubus/Golden Tulip (buffet breakfast, dinner)
Day 5 - Krakow Sightseeing
This morning, consider joining an Optional Experience to the Wieliczka Salt Mine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site preserving an entire chapel and dozens of sculptures carved from rock salt. Enjoy a walking tour of the medieval Old Town with a local specialist and visit the Market Square with its Cloth Hall, Town Hall Tower and Burgher's Houses. Visit the Mariacki Church with its famous wooden altarpiece designed by Wit Stwosz. See Wawel Castle, enjoy panoramic views of the city from Wawel Hill and visit Wawel Cathedral and have time to pray at the tomb of St. Stanislaus, Patron Saint of Poland. Relax this afternoon or explore the Market Square and city on your own. Later, perhaps enjoy an evening learning about the region's fascinating folklore.
Day 6 - Krakow, Auschwitz Excursion
We embark on a poignant journey to Auschwitz. On our sombre visit to the former concentration camp we learn firsthand about the terrors and resilience of human spirit within those walls. Return to Krakow to visit the Shrine of the Divine Mercy, which houses the Saint's convent chapel and tomb, and have some time for personal reflection.
Day 7 - Krakow, Zakopane, Krakow
Travel to one of Poland's most popular resorts, Zakopane, a place of prayer for priests and bishops, and beloved retreat of Pope John Paul II. You will visit the Jaszczurowka Chapel, a great example of the wooden architecture in Zakopane, and the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima in Krzeptowki, which was built by the people of Zakopane in thanks for the life of the Pope after an attempt on his life in 1981. Admire the breathtaking views of the Tatras from the top of Gubalowka Mountain and shop for arts and crafts made by the Highlanders (Gorale) before returning to Krakow. Tonight we join our fellow travel companions for a be my guest farewell dinner.
(buffet breakfast, dinner)
Day 8 - Depart Krakow
Say goodbye to your companions after a memorable pilgrimage. Airport transfers are available (conditions apply).
Sunday 13 May 2018 - $1,845*
Sunday 8 Jul 2018 - $1,845*
Sunday 9 Sep 2018 - $1,845*
Sunday 23 Sep 2018 - $1,845*
Single Supplement - $414
*Price shown is twin share per person, inclusive of Early Bird saving of $205 pp - must be paid in full by 14th December 2017
- Price advertised is per person, twin share
- Price is inclusive of $205pp early bird saving
- Early bird price must be paid in full by 14th December 2017
- Single supplement applies to solo travellers
- Further conditions apply
- ^All Trafalgar guests receive complimentary arrival and departure transfers by shuttle bus on the arrival and departure day of their guided holiday at the times specified below. Any guests whose flight times do not coincide with the shuttle bus transfer timings may choose to book and purchase a transfer. Additionally, guests arriving before or leaving after the scheduled holiday may also book and buy a transfer through Trafalgar providing that they also purchase the additional pre and post holiday hotel night(s) from Trafalgar.
- Tours subject to minimum numbers to run, please ask your consultant for more information on guaranteed departure dates
- Itinerary subject to change without notice
- Tour only – flights not included, please ask our friendly travel consultants for the best available airfare
- Trafalgar terms and conditions apply.
- Credit card fees of up to 2.5% may apply
*Terms and conditions apply: see RAC Travel general terms and conditions