Top 10 Places to Visit Down South
Check out these awesome spots on your way to Leavers!
Exams are looming and your stress levels are probably at an all-time high. There is so much to remember, yet all you want to do is check your leavers booking one more time.
It’s so close you can already picture yourself having the best week ever with your friends, making memories you’ll look back on and laugh about for years to come.
So, how are you getting there?
There are so many cool places to see when you’re going down south. Why not check some of them out on the way? You and your driver will be able to stretch your legs, grab a bite to eat and you’ll even get the chance to check out some cool places you might not have seen yet.
Here are our top 10 picks of cool places to stop off on the way down south or on your way home.
1.Lake Clifton Thrombolites - Yalgorup
Stretch your legs and explore the trail along the edge of Lake Clifton. Make your way to the boardwalk to view the picture perfect rounded thrombolites scattered along the shallow shoreline. Don't get too close though, these living rock-like formations are the result of tiny micro-organisms and their environment, making them very fragile.
2. The Crooked Carrot Cafe - Myalup
Everyone knows The Crooked Carrot is an essential food and coffee stop on any down south road trip. This quirky and much-loved café has no shortage of things to wander through and marvel at whilst you wait for your order including a local produce market, old farm tractors and even a tram! Located on Forrest Highway it is a perfect location to stop and fuel yourself for the rest of your drive.
3. Dolphin Discovery Centre – Bunbury
Who doesn’t want to swim with dolphins?! Plus you can book a snorkelling tour where you get to share the pool with these beautiful creatures.
4. Wonky Windmill Farm and Eco Park – Busselton
Bottle feed a lamb, cuddle a rabbit or pat a llama! There are heaps of animals to see and interact with here and you’ll even get free tastings of seasonal jams, marinated olives and chutneys. Enjoy a light lunch and a cup of tea surrounded by the animals.
5. The Underwater Observatory – Busselton Jetty
You’ll need to book this one in advance, but it’s so worth it! Take the train along Busselton Jetty to reach the underwater observatory. You’ll see bright corals alongside tropical and sub-tropical fish. You can even take an Underwater Helmet Walk, where you can experience the thrill of diving without being a professional scuba diver!
6. Aquatastic – Busselton
Inflatable slides, climbable icebergs and an obstacle course, enjoy this pop up water park at the beach, just off Geographe Bay Road. Cool off and keep fit at the same time.
7. Meelup Beach – Dunsborough
With amazing views of the ocean and the perfect place to relax, the water won’t be the only thing that’s serene and calm here. Perfect for a pit stop with a BBQ and picnic tables under leafy gum trees.
8. Simmo’s Ice Cream – DunsboroughTrust us when we say you should try the Cotton Candy and Blueberry White Chocolate ice cream flavours, as well as the Mango Passionfruit Sorbet. Simmo’s are famous for their ice-creams, so why not make it a pit-stop and satisfy your sweet cravings? It will give you more energy for the drive, we promise.
9. The White Elephant Café – PrevellyWith spectacular ocean views and a delicious breakfast and lunch menu, The White Elephant Café is the perfect spot to grab a quick bite to eat and enjoy the serenity before the excitement of leavers begins.
10. Boranup Drive – Margaret River
A scenic drive through the Boranup Karri Forest will allow you to sit back, relax and feel like the size of an ant compared to the spectacularly grand Karri trees. For an extended pit stop, check out the Boranup Lookout.