Tips for road trips
If you're planning a road trip, make sure your car is road trip ready with these handy tips.
Prepare your car
- Clean all your windows and mirrors, fill your windscreen washer bottle and do oil/water/tyre checks.
- Check your seat is in a good position for driving.
- Plan your route beforehand so you know where you’re going.
- Check where the rest stops and petrol stations are along the way.
Stay safe on the drive
- Have plenty of drinking water ready in case you breakdown.
- Charge your phone and always store your roadside assistance or mechanic details in the car.
- Slow down and reduce your speed for the conditions (i.e. on different road surfaces such as gravel).
- Take breaks along the way. Should you feel tired at all, pull over straight away.
- When overtaking a slower or larger vehicle (or one that blocks your vision), hang further back so you can see further ahead. This should give you more room to smoothly accelerate and move your vehicle to the opposite side of the road to start your overtaking.
- Don’t overtake unless it’s safe to do so.
- Limit your use of cruise control until you are an experienced driver. If using cruise control, you still need to remain alert and ready to take over around bends, going up or down hills or when conditions change.
Thinking of planning an overseas road trip?
Maybe you’re finishing up school soon and thinking about heading overseas with friends or family. Overseas road trips can be a little more complicated than going down south.
- There will be different driver age limits in different countries.
- You’ll need an international drivers licence.
- Car hire can be costly and complicated, so make sure you check all the added costs and insurances (as well as age limits and excesses).
- You might need a GPS or navigation system if you aren’t familiar with the roads.
- Different driving rules, laws and conditions will apply (US and Europe drive on the opposite side of the road!).
Hitting the road for leavers?
Before you go, check out our Leavers info
Did you know Road Ready members get loads of discounts and special offers?