Road rage, using your mobile phone, and speeding when driving are just a few of the bad habits your child can learn from the back seat - without you realising.
Research shows that a child begins developing their driving behaviour many years before they get their learner’s permit. So your behaviour in the car can have a huge influence on your child and the type of driver they will be in the future.
This is especially applicable for children aged between five 5 and 12 years, so it is important you demonstrate positive driving behaviours to help your child becomes a safe driver in the future.
Driver safety tips
- Teach your child about using the ‘safety door’ when getting in and out of the car. This is the door that opens away from the road, so your child does not get into a car from the road or exit the car directly onto the road.
- Always make sure everyone in the car is buckled up safely and correctly before starting the engine, and make sure your child knows why they need to keep seat-belts done up while in the car.
- Avoid any type of distractions that may put your life and others’ lives at risk, including use of mobile phones.
- Stick to the speed limits and road rules and always be courteous to other drivers, to ensure you are setting a good example for your child.
- Only use sun-blinds and tinted films on rear and side windows and do not allow anyone or anything to block the driver’s vision.
- On long journeys, take regular break to avoid driver fatigue. It will also give your child the chance to stretch their legs and burn off some energy for the rest of the drive.
- Praise and encourage your child for safe behaviour.
- Ensure your child always holds your hand when exiting the car and walking in car parks. Discuss why it is important to always hold an adult’s hand; cars may reverse out at any time and drivers may not be able to see them because of their size.
Become a member
RAC Little Legends Club® members receive access to our award winning online road safety games, their very own RAC Little Legends Club® welcome pack and membership card, Which gives them access to awesome benefits and discounts.Join