Instead of just worrying about the future, we’re working to make it better. Whether it's electric vehicles or other sustainable travel options, greener buildings or lobbying government for change, we’re committed to finding solutions for a more sustainable future.
Our environmental commitment
- We accept our responsibility to help protect the natural environment and mitigate the impacts of climate change.
- RAC and our people will strive for continuous improvement to make our own operations more sustainable and to reduce our impact on the environment.
- We will influence, educate and inform our members on ways they can contribute to a more sustainable future, while ensuring our members have access to a range of sustainable mobility options.
- We will work with governments, industry and other stakeholders to deliver better outcomes for members, the community and the environment.
Advocating for change
Our members have indicated they are concerned about the impact of vehicles on the environment. We’re looking towards solutions like lower emission vehicles and advocating for better public transport, walking and cycling networks to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
We also support:
- The uptake of alternative fuels.
- Partnerships between universities and business to research and innovate for cleaner transportation options that reduce net carbon footprint.
Developing a detailed transport energy plan to encourage the uptake of alternative fuels.
- Planning and provisioning infrastructure to service alternative vehicle technologies, such as expanding public electric vehicle charging facilities.
- Investigating the cost effectiveness of emissions reductions using a stamp duty based policy intervention to encourage the uptake of low emissions vehicles.
- Encouraging business to adopt low emissions vehicles.
- Introducing national Australian vehicle fleet emission standards to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from new light vehicles.
Expanding the rollout of eco-driving programs such as CleanRun EcoDrive.
- Research to identify the savings to motorists through eco-driving.
- Funding public education and awareness campaigns encouraging the uptake of eco-driving principles by highlighting the environmental and economic benefits.
- Public transport investment decisions that include the environmental benefits of reduced vehicle emissions as part of the cost-benefit analysis.
- Planning decisions that incorporate the needs of cyclists and pedestrians with infrastructure that ensures safety and increases the attractiveness of cycling and walking.
Walking the talk
- Our West Perth office is a CitySwitch Green Office signatory. We undertake projects to futureproof our building by improving office energy efficiency and reducing CO2 emissions. We won the CitySwitch State and National awards in 2012, 2013, the Inaugural Partnership award in 2015 and the WA State award again in 2015.
- We’ve endorsed the Australian Automobile Association's climate change statement On the Road to Greener Motoring, which aims to contribute to a cleaner, greener community and influence industry and government to take steps to reduce emissions and improve energy efficiency.
- We’re part of the Air Quality Coordinating Committee which delivers the Perth Air Quality Management Plan.