If you've got an electric car, we've made it easier for you to go further. RAC built the very first Electric Highway® in Australia, so you can charge up your car while driving from Perth to Augusta – and back. The RAC Electric Highway® features 12 locations in Perth and the South West with publicly accessible electric vehicle fast-charging DC stations supported by the Chargefox network.
As an RAC member, you can now save 20%* when charging your electric vehicles at any Chargefox ultra-rapid site in Australia.
Using the RAC Electric Highway®
The Highway is open to all electric vehicle users in Western Australia and is now part of Chargefox, Australia’s largest EV charging network. To use the RAC Electric Highway® charging stations, simply download the free Chargefox app from the Apple App Store or Google Play store and follow the instructions below to charge.
Alternatively, if using the app is not an option, see instructions here for requesting and charging with a Chargefox RFID card.
- Download and install the Chargefox app from your favourite app store.
- Allow Chargefox to access the phone’s location. This will make it easier to find charging stations near you.
- Follow the instructions to sign up to Chargefox. You’ll be able to explore the app without signing up, but will need to sign up to charge.
- Find your station on the map. Using the location icon makes it easy to find stations near you, just make sure your phone’s Location Services are turned on.
- Select the station on the map. You’ll see the station’s address, maximum charging capability and plug types.
- Click CHARGE NOW to see the list of plugs available.
- Click START next to the port you wish to use.
- Plug in your car to start charging.
- Press the STOP button on the app.
- Ensure your car is unlocked, and unplug the cable.
- Return the cable to it's holder and you’re all done!
How long does it take to charge?
DC ultra-rapid charge
0% to 100% in ~15 minutes
DC fast charge
0% to 100% in ~30 minutes
AC slow charge
0% to 100% in 4 to 8 hours
Charging time depends on the size of the battery pack and method of charging, DC or AC. Please refer to your vehicle manual to seek clarification about charging times.
Why we did it
For more than 115 years, RAC has been working to improve the way our members get around their community. The RAC Electric Highway® aims to help reduce harmful emissions from cars in WA and supports our work towards a safer, more sustainable and better connected WA.