What type of car insurance do I need?

When choosing car insurance, think about how much your car is worth, what you'd like to be covered for and what might happen if you don’t have the right cover.

At RAC, we offer three types of car insurance:

  • Comprehensive – the highest level of protection that gives the most benefits; covers your car for accidental damage, malicious damage, theft, storm, fire and flood.
  • Third Part Fire and Theft – covers fire and theft for your car plus accidental damage to someone else’s car or property.
  • Third Party – covers accidental damage to another car if you hit it.

      There’s also Motor Injury Insurance (often referred to as compulsory third party) that covers the cost of personal injury to others if you've caused a crash. It’s mandatory in Western Australia. You pay for this as part of your car registration with the Department of Transport. It doesn’t cover damage to vehicles or other things you may hit in a collision.