Who do I contact if I get sick or injured while travelling overseas?

If you have an overseas medical emergency you should contact our Emergency Assistance team for help. Our team is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to take your call.

+61 2 8055 1697 (reverse charges from the overseas operator).

If you are hospitalised, you, or a member of your travelling party, must contact us as soon as possible. If you do not, then to the extent permissible by law, the insurer will not pay for any expenses or for any evacuation or repatriation or airfares that they have not approved or arranged.

If you are not hospitalised but you are being treated as an outpatient and the total cost of any treatment will exceed AUD $2,000, you must contact us. The insurer will not pay for any expenses that they have not approved.

You will need to keep all your medical reports and receipts from the doctors and or hospital. These documents will be needed to support your claim when it is lodged.

It is always a good idea to register your details with Smart Traveller before you depart, at www.smartraveller.gov.au.

More FAQs about: