Change your driving for the better
RAC Go will help you become an even better driver by giving you insights into your driving and tips on how to drive safely.
Download and drive
It's easy to use. Just download the app and take your phone with you when you’re driving. After each trip, you’ll get notifications about your driving.
Especially for you
You’ll also get personalised coaching based on driving behaviours such as speed, focus and harsh movements.
You don’t have to be an RAC member, and you can use the app anywhere in Australia.
Head in the right direction
ChangeYou’ll get info and tips that will empower you to take your driving to the next level. You’re in the driver’s seat.
ChallengeThe app will set challenges for you to drive more safely and be more focused. You’ll be rewarded for your safe driving.
Champion the causeGet your friends and family to join. Start a leader board with your nearest and dearest.
Three steps to safety
1. Download for free
Download the app onto your phone and follow the prompts on the screen.
2. Enjoy the ride
Drive as you normally would. You don’t have to do anything special.
3. Build better driving habits
The app will give you coaching and insights so you can be an even better driver.
RAC wants to encourage better driving practices so our roads can be safer for everyone. We’d like you to be part of this and an app is one way you can join in.
The app allows you to ‘measure’ your driving. RAC Go will give you an independent score of your driving safety. You can get your friends and family to join in and see how you shape up against them. Take up the challenges in the app as well and have some fun. Go for it!
The app is easy to use. Follow these simple steps:
- Download the app.
- Follow the prompts to allow permissions.
- Then just drive as you normally would – don’t use the app while driving. It’s dangerous and you don’t need to for it to work.
- At the end of a trip, review your score and gain valuable insights.
- Join the challenges and read knowledge bites to improve your driving.
- Get your friends and family to join in and compare scores.
The app can:
- Identify when you start moving.
- Work out if the movement is a car trip or something else.
- Work out if you’re the driver or the passenger.
- Analyse sensor driving data to provide a score.
The app uses the trip information and other app features to give you the RAC Go experience.
At RAC, we take your data, privacy and personal information very seriously. When you register for the app, we’ll ask you to provide consent for us to use your details.
Good news – nearly anyone can use the app. You don’t have to be an RAC member. You don’t even have to be in Western Australia. We want to make our roads safer for everyone across Australia.
There are a few conditions. To be eligible to install and use the app, you must:
- Be an Australian resident aged 17 or over.
- Have a Smartphone that’s compatible with the app.
- Have your own internet data plan and email access.
- Ensure location, motion and fitness services are enabled on your Smartphone.
Overall, the app is very accurate, but:
- During the first weeks, the app is 'learning' from you and after this it will become more accurate.
- There will be issues if you didn’t give permissions to the app.
- Make sure you have the latest updates for the app, check your app store.
- The app might not detect very short trips (less than three minutes or less than two kilometres).
- You’ll also have issues if you’re in a battery- saving mode during the trip.
- Sometimes there can be a problem with a GPS connection.
- The app might detect a phone distraction when you go over speed bumps or potholes.
- Sometimes the app might think you’re the driver when, in fact, you’re a passenger.
If your latest trip has been wrongly recorded, you can adjust it and delete it in the Trips tab. We may use this feedback to improve app features and performance.
The app collects data and gives you insights into driving behaviours, such as speed estimations, harsh braking, harsh accelerating and phone handling. It uses this information to calculate driving scores.
After every car trip, you’ll get a score from ‘Poor’ to ‘Excellent’. You’ll also get an average score for your overall driving.
The RAC app uses two types of scores:
- Trip scores – give immediate feedback on how well you were driving on a specific trip.
- User score – an average of your driving behaviour over time.
RAC Go adapts the way it works to keep battery consumption down. The technical term for this is that it uses an adaptive algorithm. Basically, the app is dormant in the background when your phone is stationary and ‘wakes up’ when you’re driving.
If you’ve optimised the battery-saving on your phone, you may need to adjust your settings for the app to work properly.
No need to sign in and out of the app, but if you’re looking to completely opt out then delete the app.