RAC provides a nationwide warranty
We provide a nationwide warranty for the following periods, from the date of purchase*:
- 3 years on all premium and Hi-Tec batteries for private use vehicles
- 2 years on all extra heavy duty batteries for private use vehicles
- 1 year on all heavy duty batteries for private use vehicles
- up to 2 years on all deep cycle batteries
- 1 year on all batteries fitted into commercial vehicles
- 6 months on all batteries fitted into courier vehicles
- 3 months on all batteries fitted into taxis
- 5 years on all battery chargers
Our goods and services come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. For major failures with the service, you are entitled:
- to cancel your service contract with us; and
- to a refund for the unused portion, or to compensation for its reduced value.
Extended battery warranty
The following warranty is given by either RAC Motoring Pty Ltd trading as RAC Batteries (ABN 33 009 292 228) of 832 Wellington Street, West Perth, WA 6005 (RAC), if you have purchased a battery directly from RAC or by the contractor noted at the top of the invoice, if you have purchased a battery from one of RAC’s contractors.
In addition to the rights you have under the Australian Consumer Law (Consumer Guarantees), if you have purchased a battery and the battery is found to be defective in material or workmanship (and not merely discharged/ flat) during the warranty period the battery will be replaced free of charge (‘Extended Battery Warranty’). The Extended Battery Warranty applies from the date of original sale. It is not transferable or assignable. The Extended Battery Warranty does not cover a battery:
- That fails due to improper charging, incorrect fitment, broken container or cover, damage caused by fire, excessive heat, wreckage, explosion, freezing, damage caused by abuse or modification, neglect or the use of special additives introduced to the battery;
- Where you changed your mind about the battery, found it at a cheaper price and no longer want it, where you knew about faults to your vehicle that may affect the battery prior to purchasing the battery; or
- You have purchased the battery despite advice that it may not meet your needs
Precautions are taken to prevent damage to your vehicle when Roadside Assistance services are performed. As modern vehicle computers can be corrupted an Electrical System Memory Protector (ESMP) is used to retain vehicle computer data. RAC is not responsible for fees associated with recovering a sound system PIN code.
How to make a warranty claim
To make a warranty claim for an RAC battery or charger:
- Call us on 13 11 11. You may need to take your vehicle or defective battery to an RAC Auto Services centre.
- Provide your proof of purchase (e.g.: tax invoice). A warranty claim will not be honoured unless you provide proof of purchase. As part of the Consumer Guarantees, we are responsible for any reasonably foreseeable expenses you incur as a result of a major fault with the goods. If you are not an RAC Roadside Assistance member at the time the warranty claim is made, a service fee may be charged if roadside assistance is provided (other than in relation to your RAC purchased battery).
Refunds and returns
Under Australian Consumer Law, we are not required to provide a refund or replacement if you change your mind. But you can choose a refund or exchange if an item has a major problem. This is when the item:
- Has a problem that would stop someone from buying the item if they had known about it;
- Is unsafe;
- Is significantly different from the sample or description;
- Doesn’t do what we said it would or what you asked for and can’t be easily fixed.
If you have purchased the wrong battery you may exchange it only provided it has not been fitted to your vehicle and is still in the condition it was originally sold in.
Australia wide warranty
RAC Batteries carry a nationwide warranty. The warranty is honoured by affiliated automobile clubs throughout Australia on presentation of a sales receipt for the RAC Battery product. Our affiliates Australia wide are:
New South Wales and ACT – NRMA
Victoria – RACV
Tasmania – RACT
South Australia – RAA
Queensland – RACQ
Northern Territory – AANT
Subject to the conditions and exclusions set out in this RAC Battery Warranty.
* Warranty periods are effective from 1 December 2022. Any battery purchase prior to 1 December 2022 will have the warranty period stated on the hard copy or e-mail receipt (proof of purchase) provided at the time of purchase.