It doesn’t take much to spark an accidental house fire and they can happen at any time of the year. Air conditioners, rechargeable batteries, and unattended cooking can cause unexpected, devastating damage.

Keep fire safety top of mind to protect your home and family with these simple tips.

  • Test your smoke alarms monthly and change the batteries once a year.
  • Be sure not to leave rechargeable batteries unattended or overcharge them.
  • Be extra careful with open flames. Don’t leave food to cook on the barbecue unattended.
  • Turn off and unplug your appliances when they’re not in use or while you’re not home.
  • Have your air conditioner serviced regularly.

For those living in bushfire prone areas, including within the metropolitan area, we also recommend maintaining a minimum two-metre gap between trees, shrubs, and your home, and pruning branches. Keep grass short and clear your roof gutters of leaf litter and other debris.

Those in bushfire prone areas should prepare a bushfire plan, to identify risks and prepare yourself and property in the event of a bushfire. Visit for more information.

It’s also wise to review your building and contents insurance. Having the right level of cover will give you peace of mind should you need to replace your contents or rebuild your home after a fire.

Useful links

  • Emergencies only: Contact Police, Fire or Ambulance 000.
  • Fire safety: Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES)
  • Electrical safety: Western Power