Our programs and resources
RAC provides free road safety education events, presentations and resources for secondary schools across Western Australia. Presentations and resources are available to suit each year group and cover a range of road safety topics designed to educate the next generation of drivers on how to stay safe as a passenger or driver on the roads.
Online resources In-class presentations Road safety events
Building on our in-class On the Roads program, these learning resources teach students about the importance of safe driving and being a responsible passenger, as well as the effects of alcohol, speed, reckless behaviour and driver inattention.
This easy to follow series aligns with the WA Curriculum (PDF 21.9KB) and can be adapted and utilised by teachers or delivered in the current format.
Edition 1— Fatal factors on the road
Understand the fatal factors that contribute to road crashes and consider strategies to make safe decisions on the road.
Edition 2 — Buying a car
Buying your first car is an exciting moment, reflect on what you should know before purchasing a vehicle.
Edition 3 — The ripple effect
Explore the far reaching and lasting impact of road crashes.
Edition 4 — My decisions, my destination
Consider how your choices can impact your life and others.
Edition 5 — My story
Hear first hand what it's like to be involved in a serious road crash.
The On the Roads program is a free in-class road safety education program suited to Year 10 to 12 students. The program is designed to help keep students safe on the roads by influencing risk reduction, increasing resilience and encouraging responsible behaviour.
Our interactive presentations run for 45 - 60 minutes and align with the 'Personal, Social and Community Health' strand of the Health and Physical Education learning area of the WA Curriculum (PDF 21.9KB).
Presentation 1: Back seat driver (Year 10)
- The role of passengers in vehicles.
- Strategies for travelling safely in vehicles.
- Information and activities on speed, fatigue, seatbelts, alcohol, drugs and distractions.
Presentation 2: Buying a car (Year 10 - 12)
- The process of buying a car.
- The importance of purchasing a safe vehicle.
- ANCAP and Used Car Safety Ratings.
- Contracts, insurance, registrations, and PPSR checks.
Presentation 3: Drink, drugs and driving (Year 11 - 12)
- The effects of drugs and alcohol while driving.
- Standard drinks.
- Decision making strategies to help students to travel home safely.
Presentation 4: My risk, my consequence (Year 11 - 12)
This presentation is currently being reviewed and will be available in 2021.
- Decisions that lead to life changing consequences.
- The impact of road trauma - the ripple effect.
Book a presentation